Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Journal Covers

Update:  You can find the tutorial for these covers by clicking HERE .

I love to make lists and plan out my week, and I love to keep all my lists together in a nice book.  However, I have trouble writing in a nice book!  What if I mess it up?  I will have ruined a nice, expensive book!  I decided to get around this problem by turning a cheap composition book into a nice, expensive-looking book by sewing a beautiful cover for it.  I can write in the book to my heart's content, and then when it is full (or when I mess it up) I can take the cover off and put it on a fresh book.  Here are the two covers I made:


Now that my composition books look so nice, I have to give the covers a nice name too, so instead of just calling them "book covers", I have named them "journal covers."  I'm not actually "journalling" in my book, but it could be a journal. 




The basic journal cover is simple to make.  The embellishment is what takes time, but I think it is SO worth it!  There are so many different ways you could decorate the cover; you are limited only by your imagination.  I LOVE both of these covers and I'm thrilled with how they came out; in fact, I'm so thrilled that I want lots of people to share my excitement by swapping them on Craftster.org!  My friend Susan and I will be co-organizing a Journal Cover Swap starting mid-September.  I will get a tutorial posted here pretty soon, so anyone who's interested can make a practice one before the swap.  I hope you will join us!

4 comments:

bethwalker07 said...

So cute! Ive been wanting to learn how to make one of these! If I have feedback in time then Im going to join (been wanting to join one your swaps anyways!). Great job!

Plaid Pineapple said...

I Love the flowers one, adorable!

perla said...

i love this journal covers!!!
and the fabric is just lovely!!!

Life moments said...

I love the L journal cover! SO nice patter you have in there!
Thanks for posting this!

PS. Are you on Pinterest.com?

Love,
Cristina