Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Scrappy Snappy Pouch Tutorial

After posting the tutorial for scrappy patchwork, my friend Susan (aka The Sloppy Sewer) tested it out and had some questions.  Since another reader asked for a pattern for the red snap pouch, I've decided to present you with another tutorial, with a more detailed explanation of the scrappy patchwork technique, AND directions for the pouch (this time in pink).  What more could you ask for??  Here we go!

Scrappy Snappy Pouch Tutorial

Here's what I will make today:

You will need to make a template for your pouch.  I use template plastic, like that in the picture below, because it is sturdy, has handy grid lines, and you can lay it over your fabric to check pattern placement.  You can buy this at most fabric stores.  If you want to use cardboard, that will work too.

Cut a piece of your template material 5 1/2" by 6 1/2".  To make the curve at the top, find something circular--I am using a plate with a diameter of 8 1/2".

Find the center of your template material on one of the shorter sides.  The arrow marks the center of mine. Line up the edge of your plate (or whatever you are using) with the arrow, and trace the curve.  Cut it out on the line and you have your template, which INCLUDES SEAM ALLOWANCE. (I will move the plate right up to the top of the arrow to mark my curve.)

Now, on to the patchwork!

1.  Start with scraps that are not too big: not more than 2-3" wide, not more than 10-12" long.  Here you can see that some of my pieces were bigger than that, so I cut them up before sewing.  Notice that I cut them at random angles.  You want to avoid 90 degree angles to make it look scrappy.

2.  Start sewing pieces together.  Sew two pieces together, then iron, then cut a new straight edge along one side, at a funky angle--this straight edge is where you will sew another piece of sewn-together scraps.  The section in the center of this picture is what I am starting with.  I sewed together the striped and dragonfly pieces, then ironed, cut a straight edge, and sewed on the flower piece.

Here's the same segment, after I've cut the edges straight.  Since this is the one I'm starting with, I cut all the edges, so I have lots of areas to choose from to sew on the next piece.  After this I will just cut one side at a time; I will choose the piece to sew on based on the size of the piece and color/pattern placement.


Here I've added another section of pieced-together scraps, ironed the seam flat, and now I'm cutting a straight edge. YES, you will end up cutting off a lot of fabric to make the edges straight!  That's okay--it means you're doing it right! (I know it's ironic that you will generate a lot of scraps while using your scraps to make this scrappy fabric! Don't worry about it!  Sometimes those pieces can be sewn to a different side later.)

 3.  As the pieced fabric gets bigger, use your template to check it from time to time.  This will help you decide which area to use for the front of your pouch, and where to sew on more fabric.  I need to do some more sewing!

(You can use narrower seams than usual when piecing together your scraps; one-eighth of an inch is not too narrow, if you can manage it, and it will reduce the bulk on the back of your fabric.)

4.  Okay, now my fabric is big enough to make the pouch. The template includes the seam allowance, so just trace around it with pencil, and cut on the pencil line.

5.  You will need two more fabrics: 
--pouch bottom-front, cut 5 1/2" x 3 3/4"
--pouch lining, cut 6" x 10 1/2" (I like to cut my lining a little bigger to avoid disaster when sewing!)

Sew the bottom-front fabric to the patchwork fabric, right sides together, on the shorter straight edge.

6.  Iron on some fusible interfacing to give the fabric body.  I use Pellon featherweight fusible.  I am also going to use sew-in interfacing (again, I use Pellon, any weight will do--I used a scrap I had laying around).  Here, my inner and outer fabrics have interfacing ironed onto the back; in the middle is the sew-in interfacing.

7.  Layer everything like this:
--sew-in interfacing on the bottom
--lining fabric, face up, in the middle
--patchwork fabric, face down, on top

Pin together, and sew a 1/4" seam around the perimeter, leaving a 2" opening on one side (in the picture I'm pointing to the best place for the opening).

8.  Trim your seams down to 1/4"; turn right-side out through the opening, and iron flat.  Then fold up the bottom-front section (the solid pink section) and iron a good crease there.  You can see the crease in the picture.

9.  Sew the pouch together with a single line of stitching, starting at the bottom front corner, sewing up the side, around the curve, and down the other side to the other bottom front corner (don't stitch along the bottom edge).  Back stitch at the beginning and ending of sewing.

10.  Iron the front curved section down, add a snap, and you are done!



Which one do you like best?



I'm still offering an envelope of scrap fabric!  Just do two little things:

1.   Leave a comment below, it can be about anything.
2.   Click on my name at right to find the link to my e-mail.  Send me an e-mail with your mailing address, color choice for scraps, and Craftster username (if you are active on Craftster ).

I will send you some scraps ASAP, to get you started on your own scrappy project! (That's right--this is a free offer!)

28 comments:

Unknown said...

this is a piece of sunshine purse! really lovely as can be and thanks, leslie, for this great tutorial.
i'm feeling "patchwork unstoppable"!!

bethwalker07 said...

Oooh I was secretly hoping there would be a tute for this pouch! Cant wait to try it :) Thanks!

Helen said...

my fav is the pink one! Thank you for the tutorial - makes a bit more sence now :)

Leslie Andersen said...

Thanks, Helen, I'm glad I was able to clarify things. (By the way--there's an envelope of fabric scraps heading your way...!)

Melony Bradley said...

Love fabric scrap projects! These are great and I loved how you showed how to make the pouch shape with the plate. great tutorial

http://mel-designs.typepad.com/my-blog/2011/10/painted-handbag-using-products-by-jacquard.html

Muireann said...

What a great tutorial. I'm here from Craft Gossip and happy to have added you to my Google Reader list. Thanks very much for your kind offer, I'll email you right away and if you have any scraps left I'd love to try this!

Seam Rip 'n Stitch said...

hey, leslie! i definitely have to try this pouch sometime soon! i've joined the crafter swap (sandro0), but can't seem to email you using your blogger email link to request an envelope of scraps. maybe we can chat through craftster??

Leslie Andersen said...

Sure, sandroo, I'll talk to you there (Leslieshappyheart)!

Anonymous said...

I think your little pouch is just the cutest. Love the scappy look and would love an envelope of scraps.
Thanks

Karrie said...

You're one talented sewist - thanks for sharing your tute. :)

QuilterLaura said...

Thx for the great instructions, adorable little pouch!

Unknown said...

What a great idea for a gift for this Christmas...especially for kiddos! they love to have their own little pouch for fun things they want to keep!

shonna.hast@yahoo.com

Wyvonne said...

I would like some scraps. Yours' is so cute

Leslie Andersen said...

Wyvonne, please email me your mailing address so I can send you some scraps (click on my name at right to find the link to my email).

SewCatSew said...

Love the little pouches enough to try patchwork sewing myself! Sharing patterns, sharing inctructions, sharing scraps! You must have been head of the class in kindergarten! :-)

Souri said...

very nice! looks very easy. One of these days I will attempt to make one. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hiya,
A craftster addict here...this is fantastic, as is you other scrappy post, off to fill out the questionnaire and join later today I hope. If you send to NZ I would love an envelope of scraps, but if not no biggy, would still love to give this a go, think they are great! You are awesomely talented and great at making tutorials too!
Thanks for sharing your ideas,
Sam

Mary B Sakowicz said...

Got my scrappy envelope- downloading the instructions and ready to get busy- thanks for your generousity and the color scheme- fab.. thanks

BethD.Stanfill said...

I love this idea, you also are awesome for offering this. Thank you so much for the easy to follow directions. Thank you again !!!

Christine said...

Love both of them equally!! I would adore some scraps!!

Ke Keiki's Primal Adventure said...

Love them both. Can't wait to get started, some scraps would sure help.

Angie said...

Oh my goodness - just saw this on Pinterest and I'm in love! These are too cute. I'm just getting into sewing after many years away from the machine and I think this will be my next project. I just have to find my old scrap bag! Thank you for this tutorial.

Bleaue said...

This purse is adorable, I have been hoping to learn to make this type of patch work material for a coin purse.Thank you for sharing, looking forward to making one.

Anonymous said...

Ok this is an awesome pouch to toss a few buck and maybe a work or student I.d. Into I would love some scraps for Inspiration

Jean said...

Making this tonight! How gorgeous.
I will not enter for the scrap envelope as I am a newbie.
Jean

Anonymous said...

This is great!!! Can't wait to make one. thank you

Anonymous said...

These are both adorable! I would loooove an envelope of scraps!

Anonymous said...

this is fun